Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I went to church in low-riding jeans and...

a t-shirt this weekend. I am not kidding...I have not been in a church since the week after I remarried my x-husband. Before we were remarried, it had been nearly 3 years since I regularly attended church.I used to drag my kids weekly, attend Sunday school, and then Bible study during the week.

I am not bragging, nor was I prideful then, but God, for His own reasons brought me to my knees. Events and people, everything in my life fell apart all at once. My 2 yo daughter needed open heart surgery while my husband was out to sea, and we had no indication she would need surgery. Shortly after returning to his boat, my husband had an affair with a woman on his ship, which resulted in a child, just 2 weeks shy of coming home to stay. I suffered from physical, emotional, and mental collapse.

For 3 years, I asked God, 'why me?', 'why my family?'. Finally, 2 weeks ago, I figured out God was not going to answer me, so I had better just get over myself, and get back to God and his precepts.However, I had been in the desert for so long that I was afraid, and in a comfort zone that I didn't know how to get out of.I knew all I had to do was take the first step.

God had been so faithful to me in the past, my husband admitted his adultery and found Christ, he having been an unbeliever the whole 8 years we were married.

So, this week, I decided I was going to goto church if it killed me. Well, it didn't, it was terribly awkward the way I was dressed, but no one paid me any mind, I apparently looked like someone that needed to be there. Will I dress so secular again, no I won't, not for the morning service.Being in church rocked my world so wonderfully again, that I could hardly wait for it to be Sunday again, so I went to the evening service, which spoke to my barren hardened heart even more.

My God was talking to me. He had missed me. He was sad I had turned away from Him, but is glad I am seeking Him again.

He doesn't care what I wear. Wearing a dress or a skirt, or even a cover does not make me more righteous or sinless, because I am still a human.However, by wearing a cover, I feel closer to God because I am living His precepts. Will I start wearing dresses and skirts, probably, but right now I am taking babysteps.

Sorry to vent, I do appreciate all you ladies and your insights, butwhat we wear does not make one of us better than the other, it really is what is on the inside that counts.


(This post was actually an email I set to a ladies bible study group after they obviously looked down their noses at a young woman not "dressed appropriately" for church)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home