Thursday, March 17, 2005

Response to The Greatest Place To Have a Baby

Just a few things to share, maybe I'll post my own three very unique birth stories someday.

I do agree you are solely responsible for your healthcare, and pregnancy is not an illness or disease to be treated.

I also agree very strongly with a remark I read, about if you do not know your options, then you have none, which brings me to the (most recent, possibly last) birth story I have to share.

My first son was born in California (very progressive birthing suite was provided, visitors could come and go, I was allowed to be up and around, no IV, etc...)I was very comfortable, especially with the Beatles playing in the back ground. Baby was placed immediately to my breast, and slept in my room.

My second son was bor in Washington, at a military facility, but as progressive as the hospital in CA. In fact, they installed a birthing tub within a month of my visit. I was also mostly happy with this care. I had some problems with "Spectators" (people doing their job), because my labor this time was hard and quick, and my previous labor had been slow and easy (I was beside myself). We had never entertained drugs, but when you're in serious pain and offered relief...well...I am human... Anyhow, bad idea I was vomitting and now had to stay in bed. Upon delivery, we learned my son was facing tha ceiling, so if I had not caved into taking the drugs, everything may have righted itself. Live and learn.

And I did...My daughter was born in New York. I was not going to tour the hospital, "You-seen-one-you-seen-them-all". At the last minute, my husband dragged my to a new parent thing. I was hoorified as we toured the maternity ward. Two operating rooms, and three birthing suites. A nursery that was locked. They told us these things to reassure us. I demanded to speak with my doctor the next day and said no way, no how, this is how we're going to do it, or I'll give birth in my kitchen. As it turns out, my demands though not unwarranted, were unneccessary, because my daughter was born with a serious heart defect, so even though I had championed her bassinet to be in my room, so I could breast feed on demand (another thing they don't do in NY)she was transported to a hospital better prepared for such situations.

Apparently, NY mothers want this kind of care. I am a native New Yorker, exposed to other ways of doing things because we move alot, I am truly sorry for my friends that have no idea there are other, better ways.

And, sorry, just one more thing...My daughter's heart condition should have been detectable by ultrasound, if they had known what to look for, but our families had no previous history of such a condition. So, basically, whether or not our insurance pays for it, what false hope do tests such as ultrsounds give us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home